"Pouring Watercolor in Layers" with Anne Hightower-Patterson-White
Time & Location
About The Event
This workshop is FULL. If you are interested in getting on the waitlist, please contact our workshop coordinator, Kate Heald, at email@example.com or 803-920-7731. If you are ready to pay your balance due, go back to the registration screen and choose the appropriate Balance Due ticket.
Workshop Description (from the instructor)
Students will learn to use masking fluid and liquid watercolor to create a painting with little or no brushwork. After completing a class project, students will apply the technique to their own images.
Students will need to bring Pebeo Masking Fluid, 5 sealable containers to mix their paint in, (plastic or glass), 5 pipettes, an old bathmat or a couple of old bath towels, a small bar of soap or a small container of brush soap, an inexpensive brush for the application of masking fluid such as Cheap Joe’s Ugly Brushes, a wide flat brush, paper towels, and their normal selection of paints, brushes, and palette.
About the Instructor
ANNE HIGHTOWER-PATTERSON B.1950
Classic American Watercolors
In 2016, Anne Hightower-Patterson was selected by Watercolor Magazine as one of 10 artists nationwide as "Ones to Watch". Nominated for this designation by internationally known artist, Linda Daly Baker, she has been singled out for more and more nation recognition through the past few years.
A native of South Carolina, Anne is now in her fifth decade of creating art.
"I can remember sitting at my father’s knee when I was about five and watching him paint in watercolor. Somewhere deep inside the heart and mind of that little girl was an artist waiting to grow old enough to create. At the age of 12, the Charleston County school system provided the opportunity for art classes. It was the first step awakening that artist in me. The passion has existed within me ever since that time and has only grown stronger through the years."
"My first teacher, Virginia Fouche’ Bolton, provided a strong foundation in her disciplined approach to instruction. Upon reflection, I know I was blessed with one of the greatest instructors and she was a watercolorist, as well. Everything I do today, is built upon the foundation she taught during my high school years."
During the intervening years, Anne has earned a BFA in studio art from the University of South Carolina and a Master's in Education. After working 29 years in the public school system, Anne retired and now paints full time in her studio and teaches classes and workshops in Columbia, SC and throughout the Southeast. She is married to Ron White and resides in Saluda County near Lake Murray. South Carolina.
She is a popular speaker and instructor for art groups and guilds.
Workshop Supply List
• Paints– Bring your favorite Red, Yellow, Blue, Quinacridone Gold, and Prussian Blue\
• Paper – Arches 140# or 300# Cold Press -either will work
• Brushes – 1 or 2 “ Flat, a scrubber. 4-5 pipettes
• Masking – Pebeo drawing gum is my favorite. Old brush or Ugly brush to apply & rubber cement remover. If you do not have or use masking, I will have small kits available at the workshop for $20.00 that includes a small bottle of masking, a couple brushes, a remover, and pipettes.
• Palette – white tray or palette
• Water container, paper towels & facial tissues (very important), artists tape, eraser, spray bottle (this is important that it have a significant spray down to a mist-I recommend Cheap Joe’s), small lidded plastic containers to mix paint (about 4 oz. available on Amazon). A heavy, old bath towel or bath mat
• Resource material: I will send you a line drawing to transfer to your paper BEFORE the workshop
• You can use transfer paper to trace your line drawing onto your watercolor paper. No smaller than 9x12 or larger than 15x30. Please leave a border to tape off edges.
Registration is open to CCAL members only until 9/27/19 for $125 ($50 minimum deposit required).
Registration is open to all artists beginning 9/28/19. Non-members pay $155 ($50 minimum deposit required).
- CCAL Members - Balance Due$75$750$0
- Non-Members - Balance Due$105$1050$0