Fri, Apr 03|
Crooked Creek Park
"Plein Air: Plain and Simple" with Russell Jewell
Workshop: "Plein Air: Plain and Simple" with Russell Jewell
Time & Location
Apr 03, 2020, 9:00 AM – Apr 04, 2020, 4:00 PM
Crooked Creek Park, 1098 Old Lexington Hwy, Chapin, SC 29036, USA
About The Event
Due to Covid-19 this event has been cancelled. Registrants will receive a full refund of monies paid to date. We hope to be able to offer this program again in next year's workshop schedule.
Please direct any questions to our workshop coordinator, Kate Heald, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-920-7731.
Workshop Description (from the instructor)
Exploring the plein air art movement with Russell Jewell
This workshop offers a personal exploration of Plein Air Painting. Plein air or open air is the largest movement in modern art history. Simply stated, plein air is the process of painting subject matter from the artist’s viewpoint as he or she stands outdoors. Essentially, the artist is painting within the environment of the painting itself. Thus, the painting becomes a record or a diary of the artist’s experience.
In April 2019 Jewell won Best Color in Atlanta’s Olmsted Plein Air. In June 2019 Jewell won Honorable Mention and Best Paint Out Painting with Finger Lakes Plein Air in Canandaigua, New York. In July Jewell won Best Watercolor in Maryland’s Plein Air Easton, the largest and most prestigious plein air competition in America.
This workshop is an effort to give participants not only mental information but multiple, physical and visual problem-solving approaches that can be applied to any painting in any medium. Jewell will teach you how to discover composition, focal point and perspective from the world in front of you. Russell Jewell’s primary medium is watercolor but his techniques come from his doctorate in art education and his 30+ years of teaching his trial and error approach.
Jewell’s plein air workshop is geared towards independent personal development; it is open to all levels of artists. Regardless of what level your art might be, you will learn to see the ever-changing world as a resource for your next plein air painting.
Note: Weather permitting, much of this workshop will be held outdoors 'en plein air'.
About the Instructor
Russell Jewell is an artist from Easley, South Carolina. Jewell's qualifications for such a career include a Masters of Art from the University of South Carolina and a Doctorate from the University of Georgia. His most recent art accomplishments include:
- 2018 to be published in The Best of Watercolor: Splash 20
- 2018 Painted in Olmsted Plein Air Invitational Atlanta, Ga
- 2018 Painted in Parrsboro International Plein Air Nova Scotia
- 2017 $1000 Plein Air Easton Tilghman Island Paint -Out Artists' Choice Award
- 2016 $1000 John Singer Sargent Award Transparent Watercolor Society of America
- 2016 First Place Quick Draw Mountain Maryland Plein Air
- 2015 to be published in The Best of Watercolor Splash 16 (North Light Publishers)
- 2014 Best of Show and Artist's Choice A ward Piedmont Plein Air
- 2014 People's Choice Award Easels in Frederick and Honorable Mention Architectural Painting
- 2014 Architectural Painting Plein Air Richmond, Va.
- 2014 Published by North Light Publications in Incite 2 Color Passions
- 2013 $5000.00 Grand Prize Winner of Fredericks Maryland's plein air competition, Easels in Fredericks. Jewell also was recognized with Collector's Choice 2013, People's Choice 2012 and Collector's Choice 2011 with Easels in Fredericks.
- Cranford, NJ Paint the Town Best Artist by the Artists Award 2012
- South Carolina Watermedia Society Awards in (2004, 2005, 2008, 2009 )
- Charlotte Fine Art's Urban Lights Exhibition Award in 2013
- Georgia Watercolor Society Award Winner (2010 )
- Signature Membership into the National Watercolor Society (2003)
- Signature Membership in the Transparent Watercolor Society of America (2010)
- Jewell was published in North Light's Publication: Splash 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. Jewell was published in The Artist Magazine (Jan. 2005) and had a featured article in the Watercolor Artist Magazine (June 2009).
Russell Jewell is a signature member of the S.C. Watermedia Society, the National Watercolor Society, and the Transparent Watercolor Society of America. Much of Jewell's work reflects his travel experiences to such places as Amsterdam, Belgium, England, Italy, France, Costa Rica, Japan, and Canada. Some of Jewell's favorite subject matter includes his wife Melissa and children, Nicholas and Anna Mackenzie. Most recently Jewell has enjoyed success as an East Coast plein air painter. Plein Air Painting is a term that refers to painting outdoors on location. Jewell's work was recognized in 2005, 06, 07, 08, 09 at the premiere Plein Air Competition in Easton, Maryland.
Workshop Supply List
BASIC PLEIN AIR SUPPLY LIST
This is a generic supply list. Please feel free to add or delete items based on your needs and preferences.
· Dress accordingly:
o Check the local weather forecast, with provisions for rain or changing weather.
o Bring a hat to shade from the sun’s glare.
· Portable easel
· Canvas/panel/paper to paint on:
o Recommended size: 8×10″ to 12×16″.
o Please prepare your support based on the type of paint you will be using prior to the workshop.
o Demonstrations will be given in watercolor. You are welcome to work in your favorite medium of choice.
o If you are new to plein air, remember that you may want to limit the number of tubes or bottles that you carry.
· Palette: wood with a nice patina or Plexiglas.
· Painting medium: optional.
· Solvent to clean brushes (oil: odorless mineral spirits; watercolor/acrylic: water; acrylic: water).
· Palette knife for mixing paint
· Paper Towels
· Small trash bag for soiled towels
· Insect repellent and sunscreen
· Folding chair if needed
· Snack, bottled water
Be sure to have a shallow cardboard box in your car to keep your painting safely secure when traveling home.
Registration is open to CCAL members only until February 20 for $125 ($50 minimum deposit required).
Registration is open to all artists beginning February 21. Non-members pay $155 ($50 minimum deposit required).