Fri, Oct 11|
Crooked Creek Park
"Driven to Abstraction" with Laura Pollak
Workshop: "Driven to Abstraction" with Laura Pollak
Time & Location
Oct 11, 2019, 9:00 AM – Oct 12, 2019, 4:00 PM
Crooked Creek Park, 1098 Old Lexington Hwy, Chapin, SC 29036, USA
About The Event
This workshop is now FULL. Existing registrants may still go to the registration screen to pay the balance due on their entry as needed. Interested in getting on a waitlist? Contact our workshop coordinator, Kate Heald, at email@example.com or 803-920-7731.
Workshop Description (from the instructor)
· Principles of Composition
· How to set up your painting: Underpainting Techniques
· Concepts of Abstraction
· Mark Making techniques and exercises
· How and where to find inspiration
· Color combinations that WORK!
· Resources for ideas
· New and unique techniques and materials
Be prepared to PLAY! This will be new and full of experimentation.
About the Instructor
Laura Pollak is an award winning Fine Artist, showing her works in galleries and museums across the nation. Her works have been juried into National and International Shows. Most recently, Laura won First Place in the North Carolina Statewide Show.
She has garnered acclaim in the very prestigious International Association of Pastel Societies, and the Pastel Journal’s top 1—pastels. Her work has been published along with an interview in the THE PASTEL JOURNAL and in November 2019, will be featured in the book STROKES OF GENIUS. Pollak holds a Master’s Degree in Fine Arts from Michigan State University with Post Graduate studies from the Center for Creative Studies in Detroit, MI. Her subject matters range from landscapes and garden scenes to playful abstracts and personally frames each piece in the Studio to compliment every painting. Laura is the past President of the Pastel Society of North Carolina.
“I can remember the greatest gift my parents gave me at the age of 4 was a Crayola Crayon set of 72 colors! I have been enthralled with color ever since. I’m fascinated with light and shadow patterns. Even the most mundane subject is glorious when truly examined, especially in sunlight. It is a joy to capture the beauty in this world and hold these fleeting moments in a painting. A refuge one can revisit again and again.”
Workshop Supply List
· Bring 2 “failed” paintings that you have wiped down (if in oil, then gesso’d over). You can leave a ghost image.
· Or, bring a mounted pastel paper or oil canvas. Watercolorists just bring your paper and a board and paints.
· Size should be no smaller than 9x12 so you have enough room to make marks.
· If using oils, please bring odorless mediums/mineral spirits.
· Pastelists, bring a good variety of colors, values and hardness. If you have square pastels like Ludwigs or Blue Earth, Great American, they are great for mark making.
· Pastelists, bring alcohol and an old nylon brush.
· Paper towels for all.
· An easel, preferably one at which you can stand.
· Optional: hand protection like Gloves in a Bottle or latex gloves.
· Sketch book and either markers, pens, pencils or ball point pens.
· If you have a “reference” of a design or a color combination that excites you feel free to bring, but not totally necessary. I will also have some.
· Think in advance of color combinations that thrill you.
Registration is open to CCAL members only until 8/30/19 for $125 ($50 minimum deposit required).
Registration is open to all artists beginning 8/31/19. Non-members pay $155 ($50 minimum deposit required).
CCAL Members - Balance Due
This 'ticket' allows registrants who have ALREADY paid their initial deposit of $50 to pay the balance remaining for this workshop.$75.00
Non-Members - Balance Due
This 'ticket' allows registrants who have ALREADY paid their initial deposit of $50 to pay the balance remaining for this workshop.$105.00